Shrimp Romesco with Orecchiette
with tomatoes / parmesan
- Garlic - 3 cloves, peeled
- Tomatoes, roma - 1/2 lb, quartered
- Almonds, blanched - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Red pepper (from a jar of roasted red peppers) - 2
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/8 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb, defrosted
- Cheese, parmesan - 1/2 cup, grated
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Pasta, orecchiette (sub any small pasta shape) - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Romesco sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Make Romesco sauce - Double if making Wednesday's meal. Heat oven to 375F / 191C. Line a sheet pan with foil. Peel garlic. Quarter tomatoes (just the portion for the sauce). Toss garlic, tomatoes and almonds with cooking oil (the portion for the sauce) and some salt and pepper. Place on sheet pan and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until garlic and almonds are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Combine roasted garlic, tomatoes and almonds with roasted red pepper, olive oil, red pepper flakes and red wine vinegar. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add a splash of water or a bit more olive oil if the sauce is too thick. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Cheese / Tomatoes (for the pasta) / Lemons - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1/2 cup (117 mL) of pasta water (amount is for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing).
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add cooking oil and then shrimp and tomatoes to heated oil. Saute until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return saute pan to heat. Add Romesco sauce (remember to save half if doubled for Wednesday night's meal) and reserved pasta water. Saute until sauce bubbles and begins to thicken, ~2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in shrimp, tomatoes and pasta. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer pasta to a serving plate and top with cheese. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over the finished dish. Enjoy!
Good sauce but didn't love the shrimp with it. Might try chicken or white beans next time.0 Helpful
Made with side of broccoli for some greens0 Helpful
Sauce was delicious!0 Helpful
So delicious!!0 Helpful
Really liked the romesco sauce as pasta sauce! Used paleo pasta, subbed chicken for shrimp, and no cheese.0 Helpful
Made this with leftover angel hair and green beans. Made the sauce the night before and it was super easy to prep the night of. DH loved it!0 Helpful