with dukkah / pita crisps / feta / creamy tahini dressing
When we first featured fattoush, this salad with crispy pita chips was a hit for packing a flavorful punch with lots of fresh produce. We're bringing back a new variation that includes the addition of avocado and dukkah spice mix for even more bold flavor.
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Lemons - 1 , juice
- Tahini (sub plain yogurt) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cashews (sub pistachios, pecans or pepitas) - 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, fresh - 1 stalk , leaves torn, stems discarded
- Fennel seeds (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Pita chips (sub one pita bread round per cup) - 2 cups
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 3 hearts , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Dukkah spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz
Make pita crisps - If using pita chips, roughly chop or crumble by hand (skip ahead to prep step #2). If using pita bread, preheat oven to to 400F / 204C degrees. Slice pita bread into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning with a spatula halfway through, until crisp ~8 to 10 minutes. Store at room temperature. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make dukkah spice mix - (If not already made from Tuesday's meal). Place cashews (or other nuts if using a sub) in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add sesame seeds, cumin seeds, coriander, thyme leaves and fennel seeds and pulse a couple times to combine. (You can also finely chop the cashews by hand and combine with other ingredients.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make tahini dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil and honey. Add water a bit at a time until smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Avocados / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer add beans and dukkah with a pinch of salt. Cook until beans begin to pop and spices are toasted and fragrant, ~4 minutes.
Whisk dressing, adding a splash more water if dressing was made ahead (it tends to thicken up when chilled).
To assemble salads, toss lettuce with beans, cucumber, tomatoes and avocado. Crumble feta over top. Add pita last, just before serving so it stays crunchy. Toss with tahini dressing and enjoy!