Honey-Sriracha Chicken Fried Rice
with stir-fry vegetable mix
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Rice, white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Green onions - 3 stalks, white and green parts chopped and separated
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Frozen vegetables (any stir-fry mix) - 3 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Make marinade - Combine soy sauce, water, vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, honey and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into 1” / 2.5cm cubes. Toss chicken with half the marinade (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 30 minutes and preferably overnight. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook rice - (If not already made from Monday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard any leftover marinade) and add chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then white part of green onions. Saute until tender, ~1 minute. Add frozen vegetables and saute until defrosted and warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Crack eggs into wok and scramble. When eggs are done, add in rice and reserved half of sauce. Toss everything together, and cook until rice is warmed through. Add in green parts of green onions, chicken and a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper or more lime juice.
- Serve fried rice with extra lime wedges and hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!
It was a little bland so will up things the next time. 2nd time- used chili garlic sauce instead of sriracha and 1/3 of amount. Maybe a little more chili garlic sauce.0 Helpful
Really liked it and easy topper and make. Next time will use more sriracha and honey to add more flavor to the sauce.0 Helpful
This was a hit with all four of us. I used half frozen veggies and half fresh since I had some broccoli and green beans to use up. Made both tofu and chicken.0 Helpful
For something that's honey-sriracha, I was expecting more from the sauce. I would either up the proportions on the sauce and add more honey and sriracha....and probably some corn starch while I'm at it.0 Helpful
7 of 10. Pretty good. Next time will use real soy sauce for more flavor. The coconut/paleo sauce just didn't have enough flavor to make this as outstanding as it probably could have been.0 Helpful
This was very good. I took leftovers to lunch the next day and they were just as delicious. Next time I'll add more veggies and a bit more sirracha.0 Helpful