with pickled shallot / tomato / cucumber / carrot / romaine salad
Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mix with toasted nuts and spices. While it's great simply served as a dip with olive oil and vegetables, it adds a big boost of flavor to simple roasted salmon filets. Serve a fresh Greek-style salad with lots of vegetables on the side.
- Cashews (sub pistachios, pecans or pepitas) - 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, fresh - 1 stalk , leaves torn, stems discarded
- Fennel seeds (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 tsp
- Dukkah spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Carrots, large - 2 , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , sliced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , diced
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 1 heart , chopped
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
Make dukkah spice mix - Double if making Thursday's meal. Place cashews (or other nuts if using a sub) in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add sesame seeds, cumin seeds, coriander, thyme leaves and fennel seeds and pulse a couple times to combine. (You can also finely chop the cashews by hand and combine with other ingredients.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Carrots - Chop carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Pickle shallots - Slice shallots. Combine with vinegar. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Salmon - Divide fish up into number of servings you're making. Rinse and dry fish. Lightly salt and pepper.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Add salmon. Combine mustard, honey and cooking oil and rub on top of fish. Press dukkah spice mix onto top of fish (remember to save half if making Thursday's meal). Bake for 12 to 16 minutes.
While fish is cooking, whisk shallots (including vinegar they soaked in) with olive oil, mustard and honey. Toss with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers.
Serve salmon with salad on the side and enjoy!