Almond Crusted Tilapiawith green beans and rice pilaf
Who wouldn't love a buttery almond crust? I'm so glad this was one of your favorites too and we get to bring it back once more. Crunchy almonds mixed with just a hint of brown sugar give just the right texture and flavor to tilapia. Use your food processor to make your own almond meal or buy it at pre-made at the store. Either way, you'll want to have this on hand so you can "bread" everything in almonds.
- Tilapia - 4 fillets
- Almonds - 1 cup ((shortcut: buy 1 1/4 cup almond meal))
- Almond flour - 1/2 cup
- Egg - 1
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Onion - 1/2, diced
- Cauliflower - 1 head
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Green beans / haricot verts - 1 lb, trimmed
- Ghee - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Onions - Dice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make pilaf - Double portions if making tomorrow night's dinner. Chop cauliflower stems and florets and pulse in food processor until you get rice sized bits. Heat a >3 quart (2.84 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ghee and then diced onions to melted ghee with a dash of salt. Saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Add in cauliflower bits with chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered until all liquid has been absorbed, ~10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and dry with paper towels.
- Almonds - Pulse in a food processor until it becomes the texture of cornmeal or grits like the photo below. You can also use a blender, stick blender, mortar and pestle, or place almonds in a bag and crush with a rolling pin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Dredging stations – Mix together almond flour and some salt & pepper in one bowl / pan. Whisk together egg and water in second bowl / pan. Mix together almonds with maple syrup and a dash of salt in a third bowl / pan.
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil. If it's too hot to turn on the oven, skip next step.
- Melt ghee by microwaving for 30 seconds.
- Dip fish into the flour mixture, then egg wash, then into the almond crumbs. Place onto sheet pan and brush on both sides with melted ghee
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until almonds are golden brown. Again, if it's too hot to turn on the oven, melt the ghee in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Pan fry fish for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. You may have to do this in shifts, and you may need to add more ghee between shifts.
- Trim green beans if necessary (this is a great kids activity - give them a pair of scissors if they're not ready for a knife). Combine with 1 tbs. (2.5 ml) of water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on the thickness.
- Toss green beans with ghee and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Check on fish. Once it's golden, serve with lemon wedges and a side of pilaf and your quick and easy green beans.
This meal has 9 reviews
Yum! Such an easy and tasty way to cook fish. A definite favorite!
I'm making it again tonight, so good. I just made rice in a rice maker and used half the amount of lemon on the green beans.
made the tilapia (using TJ's chili tilapia since that's all they had). also made tofu, which was good but not as flavorful. sauteed green beans to finish, and added toasted almonds. added parsley to pilaf delicious and i'd definitely make tilapia this way again.