with leftover chimichurri sauce and tomato salad
These chicken kebabs are oh-so-tender and tasty thanks to an easy marinade (feel free to use this marinade for everything). Drizzled with last night's chimichurri and a fresh tomato salad, this meal is sure to be a favorite.
Smarts: Marinate the chicken overnight for maximum flavor.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Sugar, brown - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Onions, red - 1/4, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Skewers - 8 to 16, we prefer flat bamboo ones
- Orzo, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Leftover chimichurri sauce (from Wednesday) - 4 Tbsp
- Onions, red - 1/4, sliced
- Cucumbers, English or Persian - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, any type - 2 lbs, chopped or sliced into wedges
- Leftover chimichurri sauce (from Wednesday) - 3 Tbsp
- Make marinade for chicken - Mince garlic. Mix with brown sugar, soy sauce, and oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Red onions - Prep as directed. Chop for kebabs and slice for salad. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into 1” / 2.5cm wide cubes. Toss chicken and chopped red onions with marinade. Use a fork to tenderize chicken to make sure marinade seeps in. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Prepare kebabs - Thread skewers through chicken and onions. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Make salad - Toss cucumbers, tomatoes, and sliced red onions with leftover chimichurri (just the salad portion).
- Cook orzo - Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Salt and add orzo. Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush pan with some oil. Place kebabs on heated pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, pressing down firmly with a spatula. Flip and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken is done (165F / 74C). Remove from heat and let rest.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Lightly brush grates with some oil. Place kebabs on heated grates and grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes. Close grill and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, until chicken is done (165F / 74C). Remove from heat and let rest.
- Drizzle remainder of the chimichurri over the kebabs. Enjoy with orzo and salad on the side!
Best chicken!!! Will make again and again.0 Helpful
The marinade was delicious! I would make garlic sauce with this as well next time, and might do roma tomatoes on the grill as well.0 Helpful
Used Costco Mediterranean chicken skewers so skipped the chicken marinade. Loved the chimichurri! Used shallot instead of red onion in salad.0 Helpful
Made it sans skewers. Too many tomatoes in salad! Came together quickly with chimichurri already made and chicken already marinated.0 Helpful
Didn't care for the marinade. Salad was wonderful though. Used my indoor grill.0 Helpful
We made this for company, and everyone like it! Even the kids!0 Helpful