with chimichurri sauce and grilled pineapple
Smarts: We make double the chimichurri (you'll thank us) to use again tomorrow night as a dressing for kebabs and a tomato salad.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Mushroom, portobello - 4, stem removed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced thinly
- Baguette or ciabbata - 12 oz, sliced open
- Homemade chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 8 Tbsp
- Pineapple (~3 lb / 1.4kg) - 1, sliced into spears
- Cilantro leaves, tightly packed - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Shallots - 1 clove, peeled
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Make chimichurri sauce - This makes enough for 2 nights of meals. In a blender or a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, shallot, capers, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. Reserve half for tomorrow night’s dinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop into 1-1/2” / 4cm wide slices. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Break off stems.
- Mozzarella - Slice.
- Bread - Slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- If cooking in the oven: Arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Place portobellos and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush mushrooms and bell peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil for 5 minutes on each side. After mushrooms and peppers are done, you can broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh! Pop the bread in the oven (you can place them right on the rack) for 5 to 7 minutes to toast them up.
- If cooking on a grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Brush mushrooms and peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange mushrooms, peppers, and pineapple on grill. Grill mushrooms and peppers for 4 to 6 minutes and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes per side for all ingredients. To heat the bread, just place on the grill for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on chimichurri sauce (make sure you’ve saved half for tomorrow’s dinner) and layering in sliced mushrooms, peppers, and cheese. Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
Messy but delicious!0 Helpful
Turned out great. Loved the grilled pineapple and the sauce was amazing. Will be making this again.0 Helpful
This is possibly my favorite sandwich ever! Super easy and incredibly flavorful -- do it on the grill!!0 Helpful
Husband loves this sauce.0 Helpful
I think we would have preferred raw pineapple over grilled. Pretty good overall. Like chimichurri.0 Helpful
Sauce was a big hit.0 Helpful