Skirt Steak Salad
with chimichurri dressing
Smarts: We make double the chimichurri (you'll thank us) to use again tomorrow night as a dressing for kebabs and a tomato salad.
- Steak, skirt (sub flank, hangar, flat iron) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Bell peppers, red - 1, stem cored out
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 1, stem cored out
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 10 oz, halved
- Pineapple - 12 oz, sliced into spears
- Romaine lettuce - 5 oz, chopped
- Homemade chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 8 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves, tightly packed - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Shallots - 1 clove, peeled
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Skirt steak - Divide into 3” / 7.5cm long segments. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - This makes enough for 2 nights of meals. In a blender or a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, shallot, capers, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. Reserve half for tomorrow night’s dinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Core out stem. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Romaine - Chop if not purchased pre-chopped.
- If cooking in the oven: Arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Place steak and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness. After steak and peppers are done, you can broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh!
- If cooking on a grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Brush peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange steak, peppers, and pineapple on grill. Grill uncovered - steak for 2 to 4 minutes, peppers for 4 to 6 minutes, and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes per side for all ingredients.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers). Chop bell peppers and pineapple into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss romaine, tomatoes, bell peppers, pineapple, and skirt steak with chimichurri sauce (make sure you’ve saved half for tomorrow’s dinner). Enjoy!
Messy but delicious!0 Helpful
Turned out great. Loved the grilled pineapple and the sauce was amazing. Will be making this again.0 Helpful
This is possibly my favorite sandwich ever! Super easy and incredibly flavorful -- do it on the grill!!0 Helpful
Husband loves this sauce.0 Helpful
I think we would have preferred raw pineapple over grilled. Pretty good overall. Like chimichurri.0 Helpful
Sauce was a big hit.0 Helpful