Skirt Steak Sandwiches
with chimichurri sauce and grilled pineapple
Chimichurri and steak are a perfect combo and everyone will love them with some sweet and crunchy grilled bell peppers in this tasty sandwich. Serve with grilled pineapple spears for a fun warm weather dinner!
Smarts: We make double the chimichurri (you'll thank us) to use again tomorrow night as a dressing for kebabs and a tomato salad.
- Steak, skirt (sub flank, hangar, flat iron) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Bell peppers, red - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Baguette or ciabbata - 12 oz, sliced open
- Homemade chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 8 Tbsp
- Pineapple (~3 lb / 1.4kg) - 1, sliced into spears
- Cilantro leaves, tightly packed - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Shallots - 1 clove, peeled
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Skirt steak - Divide into 3” / 7.5cm long segments. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - This makes enough for 2 nights of meals. In a blender or a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, shallot, capers, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. Reserve half for tomorrow night’s dinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop into 1-1/2” / 4cm wide slices. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- If cooking in the oven: Arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Place steak and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness. After steak and peppers are done, you can broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh! Pop the bread in the oven (you can place them right on the rack) for 5 to 7 minutes to toast them up.
- If cooking on a grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Brush peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange steak, peppers, and pineapple on grill. Grill uncovered - steak for 2 to 4 minutes, peppers for 4 to 6 minutes, and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes per side for all ingredients. To heat the bread, just place on the grill for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers).
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on chimichurri sauce (make sure you’ve saved half for tomorrow’s dinner) and layering in sliced steak and peppers. Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
Husband loves this sauce.0 Helpful
I think we would have preferred raw pineapple over grilled. Pretty good overall. Like chimichurri.0 Helpful
Sauce was a big hit.0 Helpful
Simple, delicious, and impressive to guests. I tenderized the steak an hour before cooking on the charcoal grill and it was wonderful.0 Helpful
Meat was tough0 Helpful
Double the chimichurri. Trust me on this.0 Helpful