Salmon, Strawberry, and Quinoa Salad
with balsamic vinaigrette
Smarts: We double the quinoa for tomorrow night's dinner.
- Strawberries - 12 oz
- Salmon, canned - 16 oz
- Walnuts - 4 oz, crushed
- Feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Arugula - 5 oz
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 6 Tbsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 1 1/3 cups
- Make balsamic vinaigrette - Dice shallots. Whisk together shallots, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
- Cook quinoa - This makes enough for 2 nights. Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 2 cups / 470mL / 370g of cooked quinoa for tomorrow night’s dinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice.
- Salmon - Open cans and drain if there’s any liquid.
- You can serve salad like a Cobb Salad by layering salmon, strawberries, quinoa (again, make sure you’ve reserved 2 cups / 470mL / 370g cooked for Tuesday’s dinner), walnuts, and feta over arugula and then drizzle with vinaigrette. You can also toss everything together and then serve. Enjoy!
Would have been good without the salmon, or with fresh salmon. The canned salmon was distracting.0 Helpful
I made so many subs not even sure if this qualifies as the same salad, but I wanted to check an "I made this" box. Subbed green leaf lettuce, heirloom tomato and goat cheese because that was what I already had. Used quinoa, canned salmon (fine, not great) and walnuts. Happy to use up things in the fridge, will eat again as lunch this week. Next time I'll try strawberries and fresh salmon.0 Helpful
I have made this twice for guests and it got great reviews each time. I used fresh salmon filets instead of canned.0 Helpful
Canned Salmon had bones and skin. Disgusting. I had to eat it without.0 Helpful
Wow! This salad is my JAM! I opted for fresh pan-seared salmon because I cook salmon often and am comfortable doing so. Make this. You will thank yourself.0 Helpful
Used smoked salmon because I haven't found a canned brand I like yet. (We reduced the amount accordingly , given the salt content.) It was delicious. I always like fish and berry combos.0 Helpful