Chicken Miso Ramen
with bok choy and soft boiled eggs
When we asked what meals should be featured in our 'taste test' plans, just about every member said, "The Ramen!" By using last night's ginger miso dressing, this comforting meal comes together quickly but remains full of flavor. To make this soup truly authentic, top it with soft boiled eggs and eat it with a deep spoon and chopsticks!
Chicken Miso Ramen:
- Noodles, dried ramen (sub soba or spaghetti) - 6 oz
- Green onions - 3 , sliced, green and white parts separate
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Bok choy, baby (sub thinly sliced cabbage) - 4 , halved and chopped, stems and leaves separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 3/4 lb , chopped
- Mushrooms, straw (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Eggs - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ginger miso dressing (leftover from Wed) - ~6 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Noodles - Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Garlic / Bok choy - Prep as directed. Remember to keep the leaves and stems of the bok choy separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Mushrooms - Drain and rinse.
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a low boil. Add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this will yield cooked whites and runny yolks, so boil a minute less or more if you like your eggs cooked differently). Transfer eggs to a colander and run under cool tap water. Set aside until cool enough to peel.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken and saute until cooked through, ~5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return wok to heat.
- To the hot wok, add oil and then white parts of green onions and bok choy stems. Saute until slightly softened, ~2 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes. Add ginger miso dressing, stock and soy sauce. Cover and bring to a boil. Add bok choy leaves and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Add chicken and noodles to soup and simmer just until chicken is heated through.
- Peel eggs (hold the eggs under cool running water to help remove the peel if needed) and slice in half. Season yolks with a pinch of salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with green parts of green onions and eggs. Squeeze lime wedges over soup just before serving. Enjoy!