Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Our members love slow cooker meals and this chili is one of their faves! This simple chili can be made in the slow cooker or a Dutch oven (and we provide directions for both). Regardless of your chosen cooking method, you'll love the chili flavors with the sweet tenderness of sweet potatoes.
Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili:
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Arrowroot powder (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , diced
- Kale - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems discarded
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados, large - 1 , cubed
- Ground turkey - Season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Fold in arrowroot powder. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Sweet potatoes / Kale - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, sweet potatoes, and kale and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all the same ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with avocado.