Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
with avocados, tortilla chips and sour cream
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Cornstarch (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados, large - 1, cubed
- Sour cream - for serving on chili
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving with chili
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and sweet potatoes and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all the same ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with avocado and sour cream. Scoop with tortilla chips if using.
I rounded up the spices as others had said it was bland and it was really tasty! We had it with cornbread.0 Helpful
A little too bland for my tastes. I'd suggest adding some spice, or double the suggested spices. I can tell the leftovers will be good with some hot sauce at least.0 Helpful
I did not use the slow cooker and the chili came out great. I really like the sweet potatoes in the chili. Very filling. Will be making again.0 Helpful
We added way more chili than the recipe asked for because we found the recipe iteration a little bit bland but once we added more chili, it was great. Well received. Any tricks for muscling through those sweet potatoes? :P0 Helpful
For a very simple meal, it was fine. Needs the avocado and sour cream (and we added cheese) to make it flavorful. Since it was very easy to make, I would do it again, but I thought overall it was only ok.0 Helpful
Dont have a slow cooker, so I cooked this for 25 minutes in Instant Pot pressure cooker. Came out perfect.0 Helpful