Shrimp Fajita Salad
with bell peppers, tomatoes and corn tossed in Latin spices
Smarts: Double the saute and use the filling in wraps for an easy next-day lunch.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, shelled and deveined
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced thinly
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup, thawed or drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips (opt) - 1 cup, crushed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Toss with garlic powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, and some salt. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Bell Peppers / Green onions - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prepare dressing - Mince garlic. Whisk garlic with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sour cream, paprika, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Romaine / Tomatoes / Tortilla chips (if using) - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Warm in microwave for frozen or drain and rinse for canned.
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then shallots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add shrimp and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Fold in peppers and toss for another 3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Assemble salads with romaine, tomatoes, corn and green onions. Toss with shrimp and peppers and dressing. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or more of the spices, and sprinkle crushed tortilla chips (if using) on top!
Great flavors and an easy way to prepare tofu. Next time I will add some rice and black beans. Avocado would have been a great addition too. I made dressing as described and did not have any problems with taste.0 Helpful
This made such a change for us I don’t normally cook things like this but it was lovely. I just changed the sour cream for vegan creme fraiche (I am dairy intolerant) & also added extra prawns it was so nice.0 Helpful
I should have doubled the shrimp. Otherwise, a great recipe. I’d also add the peppers earlier next time. Any way to increase the calories? I normally eat triple the serving size of this. I’m tall.0 Helpful
I made it as-is except I doubled the shrimp and added avocado to the salad. We thought it was fabulous. Will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Good for a beginner. My friends and husband really liked it.0 Helpful
Subbed whole milk plain yogurt for sour cream in the dressing and it was delicious, not too sour at all. The smoked paprika really adds a nice flavor to the dressing. Subbed onions for the shallots which worked great.0 Helpful