with red peppers & carrots and rice pilaf
- Onion - 1/2, diced
- Rice - 2 cups, any type
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 3 3/4 cups
- Skinless chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Red peppers - 2, chopped
- Carrots - 1 lb, peeled & chopped
- Coconut milk - 1 can ((light is fine))
- Red or yellow curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves
- Onions (for pilaf) - Dice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pilaf - If you made this with yesterday's meal, you're done. Otherwise, heat a >3 quart (2.84 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then diced onions to melted butter with a dash of salt. Saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Add in rice with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer until all liquid has been absorbed (~25 minutes for white rice, ~50 minutes for brown). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Onions / Red peppers / Carrots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pour in half a can of coconut milk and whisk in 2 tbs. (30 ml) of curry paste. Simmer for ~1 minute
- Add chopped onions and simmer for another ~3 minutes. Next add chicken and cook for another ~3 minutes. Add in red peppers and carrots with remainder of coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Finish curry with juice from half a lime. Season to taste with more fish sauce (if it's not salty enough), sweetener (if it's not sweet enough), curry paste (for more herb notes), or lime juice (if it's not tart enough). Add in basil leaves.
- Ladle heaping spoonfuls over pilaf.
The curry was amazing! Made regular rice instead of pilaf. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
It was tasty and I would make it again. I added a constarch mixture to thicken the sauce up a bit because it was watery and I added more curry paste and brown sugar than the recipe called for. The sauce needed more flavor. If I make this again, I will play around with the ingredient amounts. Overall pretty good.0 Helpful
Flavor was great...but way too soupy. The recipe for 2 is wrong. Need to modify.0 Helpful
Excellent - tasted just like at a restaurant! We added extra curry paste.0 Helpful
sauce broke, used light coconut milk. Flavors good, look gross.0 Helpful
I made this for just myself, and it was delicious! I need more rice though, to eat with the leftovers...0 Helpful