with red peppers & carrots and rice pilaf
I'm so glad you all love curry as much as I do. It's such an easy way to add depth and flavor to simple healthy ingredients. You can easily double the recipe for easy freezing. Tofu and curry are also a winning combination so vegetarians will love it too.
- Onion - 1/2 , diced
- Rice - 2 cups , any type
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 3 3/4 cups
- Skinless chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Red peppers - 2 , chopped
- Carrots - 1 lb , peeled & chopped
- Coconut milk - 1 can ((light is fine))
- Red or yellow curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1
- Basil - 2 sprigs , leaves
- Onions (for pilaf) - Dice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pilaf - If you made this with yesterday's meal, you're done. Otherwise, heat a >3 quart (2.84 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then diced onions to melted butter with a dash of salt. Saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Add in rice with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer until all liquid has been absorbed (~25 minutes for white rice, ~50 minutes for brown). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Onions / Red peppers / Carrots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pour in half a can of coconut milk and whisk in 2 tbs. (30 ml) of curry paste. Simmer for ~1 minute
- Add chopped onions and simmer for another ~3 minutes. Next add chicken and cook for another ~3 minutes. Add in red peppers and carrots with remainder of coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Finish curry with juice from half a lime. Season to taste with more fish sauce (if it's not salty enough), sweetener (if it's not sweet enough), curry paste (for more herb notes), or lime juice (if it's not tart enough). Add in basil leaves.
- Ladle heaping spoonfuls over pilaf.