Baked Chicken Marinara
with marinara and zucchini noodles
We love transforming calorie-heavy classics into easy, light weeknight meals. Our paleo take on chicken parm is served over zucchini noodles (feel free to use normal spaghetti) and is baked with almond meal versus fried for a lighter, but just as delicious meal. Topped with marinara, it's a dinner the whole family will love!
Baked Chicken with Marinara:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced into strips
- Eggs - 2
- Almond meal - 1 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Marinara sauce (use your favorite store bought variety) - 2 cups
Sauteed Zucchini Noodles:
- Zucchini - 1 lb , spiralized, sliced into noodles with a peeler, or sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice your zucchini to make a zucchini saute.)
- Prep breading stations - In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. In a separate container with a lid (or Ziploc bag), combine almond meal, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into almond meal mixture. Cover with lid or Ziploc bag and shake until almond meal coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake on the middle oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- While chicken bakes, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for zucchini slices.
- Heat sauce briefly in the microwave.
- Top zucchini with sauce and then chicken. Enjoy!