Baked Chicken Parmesan
with marinara and zucchini noodles
We love transforming calorie-heavy classics into easy, light weeknight meals. Our take on chicken parm is served over zucchini noodles (feel free to use normal spaghetti) and is baked versus fried for a lighter, but just as delicious meal. Topped with cheese and served with marinara, it's a dinner the whole family will love!
Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 4 oz , grated
- Cheese, parmesan, plus extra for serving - 2 oz , grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced into strips
- Eggs - 2
- Almond meal - 1 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Marinara sauce (use your favorite store bought variety) - 2 cups
Sauteed Zucchini Noodles:
- Zucchini (sub gluten-free spaghetti) - 1 lb , spiralized, sliced into noodles with a peeler, or sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella / Parmesan - Prep as directed. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice your zucchini to make a zucchini saute or sub a gluten-free pasta.)
- Prep breading stations - In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. In a separate container with a lid (or Ziploc bag), combine almond meal, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into almond meal mixture. Cover with lid or Ziploc bag and shake until almond meal coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake on the middle oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- While chicken bakes, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for zucchini slices.
- Remove chicken from oven. Turn on the oven’s broiler. Top chicken with mozzarella. Broil just until the mozzarella is melted, ~2 minutes.
- Heat sauce briefly in the microwave.
- Top zucchini with sauce, chicken and extra parmesan. Enjoy!