Baked Chicken Parmesan
with marinara and zucchini noodles
We love transforming calorie-heavy classics into easy, light weeknight meals. Our take on chicken parm is served over zucchini noodles (feel free to use normal spaghetti) and is baked versus fried for a lighter, but just as delicious meal. Topped with cheese and served with marinara, it's a dinner the whole family will love!
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 4 oz, grated
- Cheese, parmesan, plus extra for serving - 2 oz, grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into strips
- Eggs - 2
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Marinara sauce (use your favorite store bought variety) - 2 cups
- Zucchini (sub spaghetti) - 1 lb, spiralized, sliced into noodles with a peeler, or sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella / Parmesan - Prep as directed. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice your zucchini to make a zucchini saute or sub pasta.)
- Prep breading stations - In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. In a separate container with a lid (or Ziploc bag), combine panko, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into panko mixture. Cover with lid or Ziploc bag and shake until panko coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake on the middle oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- While chicken bakes, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for zucchini slices.
- Remove chicken from oven. Turn on the oven’s broiler. Top chicken with mozzarella. Broil just until the mozzarella is melted, ~2 minutes.
- Heat sauce briefly in the microwave.
- Top zucchini with sauce, chicken and extra parmesan. Enjoy!
Nice and easy for a weekend night, used tenders which worked well. Breading was fast for me put in a bag and shook. Did not have cheese and made with linguini noodles0 Helpful
This was delicious, but next time I won't ct the chicken into such small pieces. Breading them all took way too long. I agree with other reviewers that the chicken should be dredged in flour before the egg to help the toppings stick.0 Helpful
Perhaps I did something wrong, but the gluten free version with egg wash and almond flour just turned to mush, and it never firmed up or browned while baking. The chicken cooked up quickly (I did thighs and sliced into maybe 1" thick slices) and I salted it well and the flavor with the Italian seasoning was great, but texture was not appealing. Maybe next time I would try a different breading, or else leave off the egg and just do oil with almond flour? Or maybe pan fry? Not sure what would fix this.0 Helpful
The egg will stick better to the chicken if you dip in flour first, then egg, then breadcrumbs! Otherwise, we thought this was delicious- served to guests with a simple green salad.0 Helpful
Massive hit all around! Chicken came out delicious, my veggie-shying 15-month old even gobbled up the zucchini noodles. Most tedious part was slicing up the chicken breasts. Adding to the rotation!0 Helpful