Balsamic Marinated Steak Salad
with avocados, roasted red peppers and pine nuts
Our members love learning how to make their own salad dressings from our menus. This delicious steak salad saves you so much time by using the dressing as a marinade too! Smarts: Even 20 minutes will infuse the steak with flavor, but marinate up to 2 days to let the flavors really develop.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 lb
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Bell peppers, from a jar of roasted red peppers - 2, sliced
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Marinate steak - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, oil (just the portion for the marinade), vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Divide marinade in half. Reserve half the marinade and cover steak in the other half. Tenderize steak with a fork. Let steak marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make dressing - To the reserved half of the marinade, add mayonnaise and mustard and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pine nuts - You can leave the pine nuts raw or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Avocados - Slice.
- Remove steak from marinade and generously season with some salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then steak to heated oil. Sear for 3 to 6 minutes on each side (closer to 3 for medium-rare and closer to 6 for more well done meat). Remove from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- Toss greens, red peppers, avocados and pine nuts in dressing. Top with sliced steak and enjoy!
The kids ate it!0 Helpful
Good just not our taste preference.0 Helpful
The marinade on the steak is so good!0 Helpful
So simple and delicious! Made exactly as stated and we will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Quick and easy prep and so good! Made it for company and it was great.0 Helpful
This is one of my favorite recipes. So delicious.0 Helpful