Italian Sausage Soup
with swiss chard and mushrooms
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Fold in chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley.
This is my favorite soup recipe! The flavors are phenomenal, the soup is hearty, and we eat it year round.0 Helpful
Very tasty. Thought suggested timing for mushrooms &onions to soften was too short, otherwise easy & good. Used hot Italian sausage.0 Helpful
Overall good but needed more flavor0 Helpful
Very quick, easy, and tasty. It did need more stock added than the recipe called for though.0 Helpful
Made with hot Italian sausage. Delicious!0 Helpful
Good. Very hearty. I did put 3 cups of stock into this instead of just 2 1/2 as it needed a little more broth. But I also used the entire lb of sausage instead of half as well. It was more like a stew than a soup but it was delicious. Was perfect for a chilly day and had enough left over for two lunches.0 Helpful