Italian Sausage and White Bean Soup
with swiss chard and mushrooms
We love putting comforting soups on our meal plan menus and this one is loved by all our members. It's flavorful but healthy, light but filling, so go ahead and lick your bowl clean!
Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup:
- Parsley - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Grate parmesan cheese over soup for an even deeper flavor!