Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo
over cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower - 1/2 lb, chopped into florets
- Ghee or grassfed butter - 2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled & deveined - 1/2 lb
- Onions - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, red - 1, diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb, stems removed and sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Grassfed butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coconut flour - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Almond flour - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Cauliflower rice - Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring midway through. Mix in ghee or butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Okra / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and butter. Once heated / melted, add coconut and almond flours and stir to mix. Cook until light brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in first part of chicken stock and then onions, bell peppers, paprika, and Cajun seasoning with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until aromatic and softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, okra, second part of chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf, and season to taste with salt, pepper, more of the spices, or your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy over cauliflower rice with lime wedges.
Not only is this the First meal from your website I've made but also the First time I've made gumbo and It was outstanding I did add some hot sauce while it simmered instead of after and I was so impressed!0 Helpful
I've made this a few times now, and it's just great. Doesn't really compare to the full-blown 5 hour simmer gumbo, but for a weeknight meal, it's awesome.0 Helpful
Tasty day one wouldn't suggest as leftovers0 Helpful
I preferred it without the shrimp - the sausage was flavorful enough.0 Helpful
Great one bowl meal for lunches! Used all sausage since we don't like shrimp and used green beans instead of okra because I had it! Would make again!0 Helpful
Very boring dish0 Helpful