Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo
over brown rice
This meal brings the flavors of New Orleans to your dinner table with just some simple spices and Andouille sausage. We hope you made extra because this dish packs up well and is even better the next day!
Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo:
- Brown rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Shrimp, peeled & deveined - 1/2 lb
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1 , diced
- Bell pepper, red - 1 , diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb , stems removed and sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb , sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Rice - Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water, ~45 minutes for brown rice. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Okra / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and butter. Once heated / melted, add flour and stir to mix. Cook until an amber brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in first part of chicken stock and then onions, bell peppers, paprika, and Cajun seasoning with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until aromatic and softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, okra, second part of chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf, and season to taste with salt, pepper, more of the spices, or your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy over rice with lime wedges.