Panko & Parmesan Stuffed Tomatoes
with pureed zucchini and leek soup
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Leeks - 4, chopped
- Potatoes, russet (sub other white potato) - 8 oz, peeled and chopped
- Zucchini - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup
- Broth, vegetable - 3 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Leftover basil pesto - 4 Tbsp
- Creme fraiche (opt) - 4 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 6 Tbsp
- Parmesan cheese - 2 oz, grated
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, vine-ripened - 4, cored
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Garlic (for soup and tomatoes) / Leeks / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Zucchini - Prep as directed.
- Make filling for tomatoes - Place garlic (just the portion for the tomatoes) and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for ~30 seconds, until butter is melted. If you don’t have a microwave, just melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan. Add panko, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix through. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Core and scoop out insides. Place into a baking pan and lightly salt and pepper. Divide filling across tomatoes.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Bake tomatoes for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then garlic, leeks, and thyme to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and saute for another minute.
- Fold in potatoes and zucchini and cover with broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes, until potatoes and zucchini can be easily pierced with a knife.
- While soup is simmering and tomatoes are baking, fry eggs in a large non-stick skillet or frying pan (if using a griddle, set griddle to 325F / 163C). Heat pan over medium heat and then add cooking oil. Crack eggs into heated oil (you may have to work in batches) and cook until the whites are set. If you like your eggs less runny, cover the pan with a lid and cook until eggs are at the consistency you want. Top each baked tomato with a fried egg. Repeat until all eggs are cooked.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). If you think the soup is too thick, you can add more broth or water. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of leftover pesto and creme fraiche (if using).
- Enjoy fried egg topped baked tomatoes with soup!
The fish was quick and simple the soup is mild. We actually ended up putting the fish in the soup and it was quite tasty too.0 Helpful
Used vegetable broth which made it a darker soup - would probably use chicken broth next time to keep soup lighter. Delicious tastes all around. Added spring mix with a light vinaigrette and heated up some basmati rice for my son and husband.0 Helpful
I liked this all right, especially the pistachio crust. Soup was okay. Husband really liked it.0 Helpful
Simple and fresh! Makes a big difference if the prep is done ahead of time. My family loved this, including my 5 and 2 years old. I added a side of French bread for the kids to dip in the soup.0 Helpful
Soup wasn't all that great, and we've definitely seen better fish recipes.0 Helpful
Made way too much soup.0 Helpful