Garlic Panko Crusted Fish
with pureed zucchini and leek soup
Smarts: Double the fish, bake them all off, and then freeze half for a quick, easy future dinner.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Leeks - 4, chopped
- Potatoes, russet (sub other white potato) - 8 oz, peeled and chopped
- Zucchini - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup
- Broth, vegetable - 3 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Leftover basil pesto - 4 Tbsp
- Creme fraiche (opt) - 4 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 6 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cod (sub any other flaky white fish) - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1/2
- Garlic (for soup and fish) / Leeks / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Zucchini - Prep as directed.
- Make panko crust for fish - Place garlic (just the portion for the fish) and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for ~30 seconds, until butter is melted. If you don’t have a microwave, just melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan. Add panko, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix through. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Fish - Line a sheet pan with some foil. Rinse fish and pat dry. Brush foil and fish with some olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper fish and pat on panko crust.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Bake fish for 12 to 16 minutes, depending on thickness of fish (our fish was 1” / 2.5cm and we cooked it for 16 minutes). Crust should be golden when done and fish should flake easily.
- While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then garlic, leeks, and thyme to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and saute for another minute.
- Fold in potatoes and zucchini and cover with broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes, until potatoes and zucchini can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). If you think the soup is too thick, you can add more broth or water. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of leftover pesto and creme fraiche (if using).
- Slice lemons into wedges and serve alongside fish. Enjoy with soup!
The fish was quick and simple the soup is mild. We actually ended up putting the fish in the soup and it was quite tasty too.0 Helpful
Used vegetable broth which made it a darker soup - would probably use chicken broth next time to keep soup lighter. Delicious tastes all around. Added spring mix with a light vinaigrette and heated up some basmati rice for my son and husband.0 Helpful
I liked this all right, especially the pistachio crust. Soup was okay. Husband really liked it.0 Helpful
Simple and fresh! Makes a big difference if the prep is done ahead of time. My family loved this, including my 5 and 2 years old. I added a side of French bread for the kids to dip in the soup.0 Helpful
Soup wasn't all that great, and we've definitely seen better fish recipes.0 Helpful
Made way too much soup.0 Helpful