Oven-Baked Pesto Risotto
with asparagus and peas
Smarts: It doesn't take much more work to double your pesto for easy freezing.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Asparagus - 1 lb, sliced into 1" / 2.5cm segments
- Beans, cannellini or white (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Broth, vegetable - 4 cups
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Homemade basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/2 cup
- Parmesan cheese - for serving
- Creme fraiche (opt) - for serving
- Pine nuts - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Basil leaves - 3 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 6 Tbsp
- Make pesto - (If prepping day of, you can make this while risotto cooks in the oven.) Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, basil leaves, and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in oil until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Save 1/4 cup (59 mL) for Tuesday night’s dinner (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Snap off ends and chop into 1” / 2.5cm segments. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Situate racks so that you can fit both a saute pan on the bottom rack and a sheet pan on the top rack.
- Heat an oven-safe saute pan that has a lid over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in arborio rice and saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Pour in broth or stock and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the lower rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Spread asparagus out onto a sheet pan and toss with second part of oil. Roast in the oven for 4 to 7 minutes (depending on thickness of asparagus). Time it so that it finishes the same time as the risotto.
- When risotto is done, return it to medium heat. Fold in peas, beans, and pesto (make sure you’ve already reserved ¼ cup / 59 mL for tomorrow night’s dinner). Stir until peas are warmed up.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into plates or bowls and top with asparagus, cheese, and creme fraiche (if using). Enjoy!
Insta pot for 6 minutes. only 2 cups of broth in the pot then I added in arugula, artichoke hearts, peas, parm and pesto0 Helpful
Skipped the asparagus since it’s out of season. Added Kalamata olives at the end with the beans. Would add artichoke hearts as well.0 Helpful
Liked the pesto. Otherwise, just okay. Didn't need the peas.0 Helpful
Love this!!! How easy is this risotto, just pop it in the oven, no constant stirring or checking!! We left out the asparagus because it is not in season and allowed eaters to top with their own amount of pesto, cheese and creme fraiche rather than mixing it in for them. Delicious!0 Helpful
I substituted a half can of chickpeas for the beans and used a full cup of pesto. Probably the best dish on this website so far!!0 Helpful