Mediterranean Chickpea and Bean Stew
with green beans / olives / orzo
A combination of chickpeas and white beans come together in a rich tomato sauce for a classic vegetarian stew with Mediterranean flavors. Serve this saucy dish over orzo for an easy one-pan dinner.
- Pasta, orzo (sub any small pasta shape) - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any variety (sub water) - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest of
Mediterranean Chickpea and Bean Stew:
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Carrots, large - 2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/2 cup , sliced
- Green beans, frozen - 10 oz , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/2 cups
- Cook pasta - (If not already made from Wednesday's meal.) Combine stock and water in a large stock pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain. Toss with olive oil and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic / Olives - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container and store other ingredients separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Run under warm water to defrost. If not already chopped, chop into 1" (2.5 cm) slices. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and onions and carrots to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings and garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- To aromatics, add olives, green beans, tomatoes (including juice) and stock and bring to a simmer. Add both types of beans. Reduce heat to low and simmer to allow the flavors to come together, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead and refrigerated, reheat it in the microwave or in a saute pan with some oil over medium heat.
- Serve stew over orzo and enjoy!