Braised Chicken in Tomatoes
with green beans / olives / orzo
Braising chicken by cooking it low and slow in liquid takes a bit of extra time but pays off in tender meat and well-developed flavors. We serve this saucy chicken over orzo for a one-pan dinner with Mediterranean flavors.
- Pasta, orzo (sub any small pasta shape) - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any variety (sub water) - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest of
Braised Chicken in Tomatoes:
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/2 cup , sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Green beans, frozen - 10 oz , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/2 cups
- Cook pasta - (If not already made from Wednesday's meal.) Combine stock and water in a large stock pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain. Toss with olive oil and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic / Olives - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green beans - Run under warm water to defrost. If not already chopped, chop into 1" (2.5 cm) slices. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and chicken to heated oil. (If the pan is too crowded to fit all the chicken without overlapping, cook in batches.) Cook chicken until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (The chicken won’t be completely cooked through, but will finish cooking in the sauce.) Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat.
- Add butter to hot pan. Add onions to melted butter. Saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes. Add Italian seasonings and garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- To aromatics, add olives, green beans, tomatoes (including juice) and stock and bring to a simmer. Nestle chicken in sauce and cover pan with lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer chicken and sauce until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead and refrigerated, reheat it in the microwave or in a saute pan with some oil over medium heat.
- Serve chicken and sauce spooned over orzo and enjoy!