Southwestern Black Bean Burgers
with avocado / cilantro lime sauce / potato wedges
Southwestern Black Bean Burgers:
- Onions, red - 1/4 , chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2 , sliced into thin rings
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
Potato Wedges with Cumin and Lime:
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/4 lbs , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- Jalapenos - 1/2 , chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , leaves chopped
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , zest of
- Honey - 1/4 tsp
- Make sauce - Finely chop jalapenos and cilantro (the portion for the sauce). (Note: To minimize the spice from the peppers, remove the seeds before chopping. The spice from the jalapenos will mellow the longer the sauce is refrigerated.) Combine with yogurt, lime zest and honey. For an extra smooth sauce, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Onions - Prep as directed, storing the chopped and sliced portion of onions in separate containers. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make patties - Drain and rinse beans. In a food processor combine onions (just the chopped portion) and cilantro (the portion for the burgers). Pulse a couple times to break down onions into small pieces. Add eggs, black beans, panko, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Form into 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick patties. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Place a wire rack over a sheet pan. Toss potato wedges with oil and then season with cumin and some salt and pepper. Spread out on wire rack so that none of the potatoes are touching.
- Bake potato wedges until tender and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some oil and then place patties on heated oil. Cook burgers until cooked through and golden brown on the outside, ~6 minutes on each side. Brush buns with oil and place, cut-side down on skillet or pan. Toast until golden brown.
- When potatoes are finished cooking, squeeze lime juice (the portion for the potatoes) over top.
- Assemble burgers by topping hamburger buns with a spoonful of sauce, then with patties, onions and avocados. Serve potato wedges on the side, and if there’s extra sauce, use it as a dip for potato wedges. Enjoy!