Southwestern Turkey Patties
with avocado and sweet potato salad / cilantro lime vinaigrette
Turkey burgers tend to get a bad rap, but using dark meat and a southwestern spice blend yields moist, flavorful patties. Serve them over a salad with avocado and roasted sweet potatoes for a fresh, flavorful dinner finished with cilantro lime vinaigrette.
- Turkey, ground dark meat (sub lean ground turkey or other ground meat) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Eggs - 1
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, red - 1/2, sliced into rings
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, cubed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 3 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Jalapenos - 1/2, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, leaves chopped
- Paleo mayonnaise (sub cooking oil) - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, zest of
- Make vinaigrette - Finely chop jalapenos and cilantro (the portion for the vinaigrette). (Note: To minimize the spice from the peppers, remove the seeds before chopping. The spice from the jalapenos will mellow the longer the vinaigrette is refrigerated.) Combine with mayonnaise, cooking oil and lime zest. For an extra smooth vinaigrette, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Onions / Potatoes - Prep as directed. Combine onions with vinegar and let them soak until ready to use (this will help to mellow the flavor). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make patties - Mix ground meat with egg, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Form into 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Toss potato cubes with oil and then season with cumin and some salt and pepper. Spread on sheet pan and bake, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes (larger cubes will take longer to cook).
- If making burgers on the grill: Heat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Brush grill grates with oil and then place patties over direct heat. Grill on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each with cover closed and continue cooking until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165F (74C) degrees. Buns can be brushed with oil and toasted on grill for the last 2 to 3 minutes.
- If making burgers on stovetop: Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some oil and then place patties on heated oil. Cook burgers until they reach an internal temperature of 165F (74C) degrees, ~5 minutes on each side. Brush buns with oil and place, cut-side down on skillet or pan. Toast until golden brown.
- When potatoes are finished cooking, squeeze lime juice (the portion for the potatoes) over top.
- Drain vinegar off onions and rinse under cool water. Toss greens with sweet potatoes, avocados and onions. Serve patties over salad and top everything with vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Good flavours but I think I would do half mayo and half yogurt next time, the sauce was too thick and dry for a turkey burger. Great flavours though!0 Helpful
Oh my gosh this dipping sauce is amazing. Myself and my teenage son LOVED it.0 Helpful
Ran out of cumin. Put smoked paprika on the potatoes. Pretty good overall. Turkey patties a little overcooked at 5 min per side in the pan.0 Helpful
Loved these burgers! Made exactly as described except I subbed a bit of Frank's Hot Sauce in the yogurt sauce instead of using jalapeno. Grilled the burgers on the George Foreman for 6 minutes at 425. Kids loved the burgers too although I made theirs more "traditional" with cheese and ketchup instead of avocado and yogurt sauce. Happy family!0 Helpful
Everyone like this.0 Helpful
Ok...didn't exactly follow the recipe. Instead of burgers, I made a meatloaf instead with some added diced onion and green peppers. Inspired from paleo version, I made sweet potato fries with just S/P seasoning. Used the yogurt sauce for side of veggies. Hubby enjoyed and toddler cleaned plate!0 Helpful