Southwestern Turkey Burgers
with avocado / cilantro lime sauce / potato wedges
Turkey burgers tend to get a bad rap, but using dark meat and a southwestern spice blend yields moist, flavorful burgers. Avocado and creamy cilantro lime sauce add even more dimension to these unique burgers.
Southwestern Turkey Burgers:
- Onions, red - 1/2 , sliced into thin rings
- Turkey, ground dark meat (sub lean ground turkey or other ground meat) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Eggs - 1
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
Potato Wedges with Cumin and Lime:
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/4 lbs , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- Jalapenos - 1/2 , chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , leaves chopped
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , zest of
- Honey - 1/4 tsp
- Make sauce - Finely chop jalapenos and cilantro. (Note: To minimize the spice from the peppers, remove the seeds before chopping. The spice from the jalapenos will mellow the longer the sauce is refrigerated.) Combine with yogurt, lime zest and honey. For an extra smooth sauce, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make patties - Mix ground meat with egg, panko, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Form into 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Onions - Thinly slice into rings. You’ll just need a few thin slices per burger. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Place a wire rack over a sheet pan. Toss potato wedges with oil and then season with cumin and some salt and pepper. Spread out on wire rack so that none of the potatoes are touching.
- Bake potato wedges until tender and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- If making burgers on the grill: Heat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Brush grill grates with oil and then place patties over direct heat. Grill on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each with cover closed and continue cooking until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165F (74C) degrees. Buns can be brushed with oil and toasted on grill for the last 2 to 3 minutes.
- If making burgers on stovetop: Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some oil and then place patties on heated oil. Cook burgers until they reach an internal temperature of 165F (74C) degrees, ~5 minutes on each side. Brush buns with oil and place, cut-side down on skillet or pan. Toast until golden brown.
- When potatoes are finished cooking, squeeze lime juice (the portion for the potatoes) over top.
- Assemble burgers by topping hamburger buns with a spoonful of sauce, then with patties, onions and avocados. Serve potato wedges on the side, and if there’s extra sauce, use it as a dip for potato wedges. Enjoy!