Chicken and Pineapple Kebabs
with curried sweet pea soup
Curried Sweet Pea Soup:
- Onions, small - 1/2 , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder, yellow (such as Madras) - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 3 cups
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1/2 can
- Peas, sweet (frozen or fresh) - 3 cups
Chicken and Pineapple Kebabs:
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , 1” (2.5 cm) cubes
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Skewers, for grilling - 16
- Onions, red - 1/2 , 1” (2.5 cm) cubes
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , 1” (2.5 cm) cubes
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 cups , 1” (2.5 cm) cubes
- Prep and marinate chicken - Slice chicken into 1” (2.5 cm) pieces. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Smash garlic cloves with the palm of your hand and combine with aminos, oil and vinegar. Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Soak skewers - If you plan to cook kebabs on the grill, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes while you continue with the rest of your meal prep. This will prevent the skewers from burning. (Skip this step if cooking kebabs in the oven.)
- Onions (for both soup and kebabs) / Bell peppers / Pineapple - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Assemble skewers - Thread skewers through chicken, red onions, bell peppers and pineapple. Place kebabs on a sheet pan, sprayed lightly with cooking oil. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If making kebabs in the oven: Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, garam masala, curry powder, cumin and a pinch of salt to heated oil. Saute until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add peas and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until peas are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- If making kebabs in the oven: Roast kebabs on sheet pan in oven, turning halfway through cooking, until chicken is cooked through, ~10 minutes.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Grill kebabs, turning halfway through cooking, until chicken is cooked through, ~8 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or in batches in a standing blender) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with kebabs on the side and enjoy!