Sweet Pea Soup
with pesto and asiago grilled cheese
- Onions, small - 1/2, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 3 cups
- Peas, sweet (frozen or fresh) - 3 cups
- Pesto - 2 Tbsp
- Creme fraiche (sub sour cream or plain yogurt) - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Cheese, Asiago - 1 cup, grated
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Pesto - 4 Tbsp
- Heat a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, cumin and a pinch of salt to heated oil. Saute until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Add peas and pesto (the portion for the soup) and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until peas are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- While soup simmers, place a skillet over medium heat. Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Place half the slices of bread buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with pesto, cheese and then add remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- Add the first portion of crème fraiche to soup (reserve the second portion for serving) and blend with an immersion blender (or in batches in a standing blender) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with reserved crème fraiche and parsley on top. Enjoy with pesto and asiago toast on the side!
Grilled cheese was pretty good. Grilled cheese is always a hit in our house. The soup was okay. I think I would have liked it better with sweeter peas that are a little less starchy. My husband always prefers tomato soup with grilled cheese. I would try this soup again, maybe with mint.0 Helpful
Good and easy, but wasn't quite enough food for dinner. We ended up over-eating the soup and shorting our leftovers.0 Helpful
Made some alterations: added 2 medium zucchini and an additional cup of stock then at the end added huge handful of baby spinach and pureed in the blender. Totally forgot the creme fraiche, but didn't miss it.0 Helpful
Too lazy to put on stakes, so just spread it out on foil in a pan. No crispiness that way, but the flavors were great. Went well with the soup -- added cayenne for kick.0 Helpful
Not very generous in portion size. Taste great. To reduce the calories took some hard bread with some pesto and a slice of low calorie cheese.0 Helpful
Pea soup was the bomb! Excellent dish!0 Helpful