Mussels in Garlic White Wine Sauce
with baguette / mixed greens and grape salad
Mussels are one of those foods that can seem intimidating if you've never cooked them, but they are actually quite easy and fast to prepare. This classic version comes in a garlic white wine sauce that is perfect for dipping crusty bread.
Mussels in Garlic White Wine Sauce:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Pancetta (sub chorizo) - 4 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded (most come debearded by the fishmonger) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Wine, white (sub stock) - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Baguette, gluten-free (sub any gluten-free rolls) - 1
Mixed Green Salad with Grapes and Pecans:
- Pecans, halves - 1/2 cup , toasted and chopped
- Grapes, red or green - 1 cup , halved
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Pecans - Skip this step if you’re short on time. Toast pecan halves in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Pancetta / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Grapes / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard if not done by your fishmonger. Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. It’s rare to find mussles that have not been debearded, but if you need to do this yourself, here’s a demo from The Kitchn. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers and pancetta to heated oil. Saute until bell peppers are tender and pancetta is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mussels, stock and wine. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until mussels have opened up. Discard any mussels that don’t open up by the end of cooking time.
- While mussels cook, whisk together lemon juice (the portion for the salad), honey and olive oil. Toss with greens, grapes and pecans.
- Finish mussels with lemon juice (the portion for the mussels) and garnish with parsley. Enjoy with torn up bread and salad on the side.