Cauliflower Fried Rice
with pancetta / shrimp / asparagus / fried eggs
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp and Asparagus:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Pancetta (look for pre-chopped pancetta) - 4 oz , chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb , chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Garlic / Shallots / Pancetta - Prep as directed. Combine pancetta and shallots in one container. Keep garlic separate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Pre-cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Chop into 1" / 2.5cm pieces.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and to hot oil add shallots and pancetta. Saute until pancetta is golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp, asparagus and garlic and saute until the shrimp is bright pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Move the shrimp and veggies to one side of the pan and add aminos. Saute to coat everything in aminos and then add cauliflower rice. Stir to heat everything through, seasoning with additional aminos to taste, if needed. Remove the pan from heat and squeeze lime juice over top.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium, high heat. Add second part of cooking oil. Crack eggs into hot oil and fry on one side until whites are set, 3 to 4 minutes. (Flip to cook the other side or serve sunny-side up.)
- Serve cauliflower rice with a fried egg on top of each serving and hot sauce if you'd like. Enjoy!