Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and pancetta / asparagus / peas
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Pancetta (look for pre-chopped pancetta) - 4 oz , chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb , chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Sweet peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Pasta, tortellini - 3/4 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add pancetta and shallots and saute until pancetta is golden brown and crisp and shallots are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add peas, garlic and Italian seasonings and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over pancetta and peas and saute to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (increase heat if needed). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Pour cream sauce over pasta and asparagus. Toss to combine. Top the pasta with lemon juice and fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!