Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and pancetta / asparagus / peas
The fresh flavors of early spring from asparagus and peas really shine in this classic creamy tortellini with a bit of pancetta for extra flavor.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Pancetta (look for pre-chopped pancetta) - 4 oz, chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb, chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Sweet peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Pasta, tortellini - 3/4 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add pancetta and shallots and saute until pancetta is golden brown and crisp and shallots are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add peas, garlic and Italian seasonings and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over pancetta and peas and saute to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (increase heat if needed). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Pour cream sauce over pasta and asparagus. Toss to combine. Top the pasta with lemon juice and fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
Couldn't find pancetta at the grocery store, but found diced him instead and it worked great with the recipe! Delicious!0 Helpful
Turns out I don't really like pancetta but otherwise really liked it! Adaptable to any leftover veggies I have, so will make again.0 Helpful
Kiddos loved it!0 Helpful
Not a big fan of cauliflower so was not expecting to like this as much as I did. Leave eggs runny for more of a 'sauce' with the 'rice.' Couldn't find pancetta so subbed prosciutto. Also subbed chicken for the shrimp (husband not a shrimp fan).0 Helpful
Switched out green beans for asparagus. So good!0 Helpful
A new favorite!! I made half the sauce it called for, and doubled the lemon juice. Also substituted green beans for asparagus. DELICIOUS!0 Helpful