Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and pancetta / asparagus / peas
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Pancetta (look for pre-chopped pancetta) - 4 oz, chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb, chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Sweet peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Pasta, tortellini - 3/4 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add pancetta and shallots and saute until pancetta is golden brown and crisp and shallots are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add peas, garlic and Italian seasonings and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over pancetta and peas and saute to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (increase heat if needed). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Pour cream sauce over pasta and asparagus. Toss to combine. Top the pasta with lemon juice and fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
This was good. Didn't have Pancetta so just cooked some bacon for the meat eater to throw on top. Nice and simple, great for a quick weeknight dinner. 4 year old ate it and baby shoved it all in his face (he eats everything). Next time might add mushroom or tuna. Will make again0 Helpful
I replaced the tortellini with cauliflower gnochi, since we had some in the freezer. It worked well, and the meal was loved by even our picky eater. Might add some diced chicken next time.0 Helpful
Easy to put together. Family loved the flavor.0 Helpful
Quick prep and cook time. This might become a staple. Glad to fit more green into our diets.0 Helpful
Couldn't find pancetta at the grocery store, but found diced him instead and it worked great with the recipe! Delicious!0 Helpful