with cannellini beans
Veggie minestrone is a classic soup that everyone should know how to make. It's amazing just how a few basic ingredients in a bowl can be so tasty - everyone will definitely be asking for seconds of this one!
- Gluten-free pasta, like elbows or shells - 2 oz
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves , sliced
- Beans, cannellini or other white (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Diced tomatoes (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Broth, vegetable - 4 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Parmesan (opt) - for serving , grated
- Cook pasta - Boil pasta in salted water according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead) [Prep notes: Garlic / Onions can be stored together. Carrots / Celery can be stored together]
- Fresh basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes, until aromatics are softened.
- Add carrots, celery, dried basil and oregano, and tomato paste. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 18 to 22 minutes, until veggies are tender (cooking time may be longer depending on the thickness of your veggies).
- Remove from heat and stir in beans and pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with basil and grated parmesan (if using).