with cannellini beans
- Pasta, like elbows or shells - 2 oz
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, diced
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves, sliced
- Beans, cannellini or other white (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Diced tomatoes (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Broth, vegetable - 4 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Parmesan (opt) - for serving, grated
- Cook pasta - Boil pasta in salted water according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead) [Prep notes: Garlic / Onions can be stored together. Carrots / Celery can be stored together]
- Fresh basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic and onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes, until aromatics are softened.
- Add carrots, celery, dried basil and oregano, and tomato paste. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 18 to 22 minutes, until veggies are tender (cooking time may be longer depending on the thickness of your veggies).
- Remove from heat and stir in beans and pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with basil and grated parmesan (if using).
Added a lot of cayenne and red pepper and it was deliciously spicy. Forgot to save some prosciutto.0 Helpful
I think it was just me, but this turned out awful.0 Helpful
I forgot to add salt and pepper, but it was still tasty. I might put in more stock next time, because I like to save meals for leftovers, and my pasta and beans absorbed a lot of the stock that was there.0 Helpful
We had a little bit of leftover Italian sausage from a different meal. It was already cooked, so I threw it in with the tomatoes. I also added some zucchini and yellow squash. Super veggies! Filling and yummy.0 Helpful
Fresh basil and parmesan really make it. Would use a larger pasta shape next time.0 Helpful
this soup was amazing, I will be making again!0 Helpful