Caribbean Vegetable Curry
with sweet potatoes over rice
- Jasmine rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
Caribbean Vegetable Curry:
- Curry powder, any type - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Allspice - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, green - 3 stalks , chopped
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1" or 2.5cm , peeled and grated
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 1/2 , chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled and chopped into 0.75" / 1.9cm cubes
- Tomatoes, roma - 1 , diced
- Beans, black (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Flour (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Broth, vegetable - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Pineapple - 1 lb , chopped
- Banana - 1
- Yogurt, plain - 1 cup
- Baby spinach - 2 oz
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Sweetener of choice (opt) - to taste
- Make spice mix - Mix together curry powder, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and allspice. (Can be done anytime ahead)
- Cook rice - (If not already made from Monday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Onions / Ginger / Jalapenos / Red peppers / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed. For jalapenos, remove seeds for less spice and rinse hands thoroughly afterwards. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead) [Prep notes: Green onions / Onions / Jalapenos can be combined]
- Pineapple - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Black beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then green onions, onions, ginger, jalapenos, tomatoes, and half of spice mix to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add red peppers, sweet potatoes, beans, flour (if using), and rest of the spice mix to the pot and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes. If you want a thicker gravy, use the flour but the sweet potatoes also provide a lot of starchiness for thickening curry, so you’ll be fine without it too.
- Next add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat (covered) for 15 to 18 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- While curry is cooking, blend pineapple, banana, yogurt, spinach, and lime juice in a blender until smooth. If you prefer your smoothies to be on the sweeter side, please feel free to sweeten with your preferred sweetener.
- Serve curry over rice with lime wedges. Enjoy with smoothies to cut the heat!