Jamaican Pork Curry
with sweet potatoes over cauliflower rice
Cauliflower Rice (for 2 dinners):
- Cauliflower - 3/4 lbs , pulsed
- Ghee - 1/2 Tbsp
Jamaican Pork Curry:
- Curry powder, any type - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Allspice - 1/4 tsp
- Pork loin or tenderloin - 1 lb , cubed
- Onions, green - 3 stalks , chopped
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1" or 2.5cm , peeled and grated
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled and chopped into 0.75" / 1.9cm cubes
- Tomatoes, roma - 1 , diced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Pineapple - 1 lb , chopped
- Banana - 1
- Coconut water - 1/2 cup
- Baby spinach - 2 oz
- Lime juice - 3 Tbsp
- Sweetener of choice (opt) - to taste
- Make spice mix - Mix together curry powder, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and allspice. (Can be done anytime ahead)
- Marinate pork - Chop pork into ¾” / 1.9cm cubes. Toss pork with half the spice mix and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - (If not already made from Monday’s meal.) Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring midway through. Mix in ghee and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions / Onions / Ginger / Jalapenos / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead) [Prep notes: Green onions / Onions / Jalapenos can be combined]
- Pineapple - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then pork to heated oil. Saute pork for ~3 minutes, until fragrant and slightly seared on the outside.
- Add green onions, onions, ginger, jalapenos, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and rest of the spice mix to the pot and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next add stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat (covered) for 15 to 18 minutes until pork and sweet potatoes are tender.
- While curry is cooking, blend pineapple, banana, coconut water, spinach, and lime juice in a blender until smooth. If you prefer your smoothies to be on the sweeter side, please feel free to sweeten with your preferred sweetener.
- Serve curry over cauliflower rice with lime wedges. Enjoy with smoothies to cut the heat!