Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
with lemony garlic broccoli
You'll feel like a professional chef preparing this chicken dish, which is stuffed with artichokes and spinach and then wrapped in savory prosciutto. Pair with a simple broccoli side for a balanced but sophisticated dinner.
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8 oz , chopped
- Baby spinach - 2 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2 , butterflied and flattened
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup
Lemony Garlic Broccoli:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , sliced
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lbs , chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp (sub ghee for W30)
- Make chicken stuffing - Chop garlic, artichokes, and spinach together, so they’re all incorporated. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts, by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25cm thick. Sprinkle on basil with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Divide your artichoke & spinach stuffing across chicken breasts. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead) [Prep notes: Garlic / Broccoli can be packaged together]
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2-1/2 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- While chicken is cooking, place garlic and broccoli into a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook for 2-1/2 to 4 minutes, until broccoli gets to desired tenderness. Toss with lemon juice and butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir arrowroot powder into chicken stock.
- When chicken breasts are done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any bits remaining in the pan. Next add chicken stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy. Slice chicken breasts in half and spoon sauce over breasts. Serve with broccoli on the side.