Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
with lemony garlic broccoli
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2, butterflied and flattened
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 2 oz (sub fontina, gruyere)
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, sliced
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts, by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25cm thick. Sprinkle on basil with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Arrange cheese on one half of each chicken breast (you might need to tear up cheese slices so they fit). Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead) [Prep notes: Garlic / Broccoli can be packaged together]
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2-1/2 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- While chicken is cooking, place garlic and broccoli into a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook for 2-1/2 to 4 minutes, until broccoli gets to desired tenderness. Toss with lemon juice and butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir cornstarch into chicken stock.
- When chicken breasts are done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any bits remaining in the pan. Next add chicken stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy. Slice chicken breasts in half and spoon sauce over breasts. Serve with broccoli on the side.
Very tasty! I've made the CS Chard & Cheese Frittata several times, and it's my favorite way to use chard from my CSA box. This week I had leftover ricotta on hand so chose this recipe instead, and it was just as delicious.0 Helpful
So very tasty! The chicken was amazing!0 Helpful
My prosciutto was very thin so I didn't think it would hold the (overstuffed) chicken breasts together, but it turned out great once pan fried! So good and the filling kept the chicken moist.0 Helpful
Chicken was good, could have used more sweet or acid since the cheese and prosciutto were so salty. The broccoli side was alright0 Helpful
Good meal. Chicken nice and moist.0 Helpful
Really liked the broccoli0 Helpful