Teriyaki Shrimp Stir-fry
with pineapple over rice
- Jasmine rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
Teriyaki Shrimp Stir-fry:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Homemade teriyaki sauce - 3 Tbsp + 7 Tbsp
- Onions, green (aka scallions) - 3 stalks , chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2 , sliced
- Carrots - 4 oz , sliced thinly
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves , sliced
- Sugar snap peas - 8 oz , trimmed
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Pineapple - 4 oz , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , peeled
- Ginger, fresh - 1" or 2.5cm , peeled and chopped
- Sugar, brown - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin (sub sherry, other cooking wine or skip) - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Make teriyaki sauce - Peel garlic. Scrape the skin off of the ginger with the side of a spoon. Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, water, mirin, oil, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in a blender or small food processor. Blend or pulse until well incorporated. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse and pat dry. Combine with first part of the teriyaki sauce and marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Red onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead) [Prep notes: Red onions / Carrots can be packaged together]
- Basil / Sugar snap peas / Red peppers / Pineapple - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead) [Prep notes: Sugar snap peas / Red peppers can be packaged together]
- Cook rice - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then shrimp to heated oil with marinade. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until pink and mostly cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add second part of oil and then green onions to heated oil. Saute for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Next add carrots and red onions to the pan and saute for another 2-1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add sugar snap peas and red peppers and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Finish by returning shrimp to the pan and adding pineapple and rest of the teriyaki sauce. Saute for another minute.
- Remove from heat and finish with a squeeze of lime juice and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy over rice! (If you doubled rice for Wednesdy night, remember to save half)