Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
with apricot and almond cauliflower couscous
Slow cooker meals often make our Favorites list because they're so low maintenance. The flavors of this Moroccan Chicken happen to be delicious too, so we're bringing it back from the week of 11/2/15.
Smarts: We do provide non-slow cooker directions for this recipe, but we definitely recommend using a slow cooker for more tender chicken.
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Apricots, dried - 2 oz, chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head, florets
- Grassfed butter - 1 Tbsp
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Apricots, dried - 2 oz, chopped
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Ginger, dried - 1 tsp
- Harissa paste (optional, sub your favorite hot sauce) - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1/2 cup
- Garlic / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- For chicken and cauliflower couscous | Cilantro / Apricots / Cauliflower - Prep as directed. For cauliflower, chop off florets and pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- [Optional step] Brown chicken - Sprinkle chicken with some salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add some cooking oil. Add chicken to heated oil and sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes.
- If slow cooking - Place chicken, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, onions, apricots (just chicken’s portion), diced tomatoes, harissa, and chicken stock in slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours OR low for 6 to 8 hours. (If you don’t own a slow cooker, chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then heat a Dutch oven or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add some oil and then saute garlic and onions for ~3 minutes. Add remainder of the ingredients and saute for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently until chicken is cooked through. Please note, this dish is meant to be a slow cooker dish and the chicken will be much more tender in slow cooker.)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter has melted, add pulsed cauliflower with a sprinkle of salt and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Fold in apricots, cilantro (just cauli couscous' portion), and sliced almonds.
- Season Moroccan chicken to taste with salt, harissa, and / or spices. You can shred chicken with a fork in the slow cooker or just serve it whole (it'll be super fork tender!). Enjoy chicken with chopped cilantro and cauliflower couscous on the side.
This is my favorite recipe so far! I love the flavors.0 Helpful
Skipped the couscous but the chicken and stuff in the slow cooker was delicious!0 Helpful
My family loved this dish! They called it "exotic".0 Helpful
this was so easy, and so flavorful! I will definitely make it again. Directions spot on - i always sub parsley for cilantro (tastes like soap suds to me), otherwise followed exactly. The chicken was so tender and apricots were a revelation.0 Helpful
I want to disclose that I made this in a pan and wish I hadn't chopped up the chicken. But over all, really good favors! I didn't want to add too much sweetness to the meal so I skipped the apricots but it was a really tasty food and didn't take long to make. We will make it again for sure.0 Helpful
Delish! I would make this anytime.0 Helpful