Chicken Fajita Salad
with spicy (or not) guacamole
Chicken Fajita Salad:
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , diced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 2 heads
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought (choose your fave) - 1/4 cup
Spicy Guacamole and Dressing:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2 , diced
- Avocados - 2 , mashed
- Cilantro, fresh (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Onions / Bell peppers / Shallots / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with chili powder, cumin and some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop.
- Guacamole and dressing - Mash avocados and combine with shallots, jalapenos and cilantro. Season with lime juice and salt and pepper. Transfer half the guacamole to a small bowl and, using an immersion blender, blend with olive oil until smooth and creamy.
- Lettuce - Chop.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add first part of cooking oil and when hot, add onions and bell peppers and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add second part of oil and saute chicken until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, ~6 minutes.
- Top lettuce with chicken, peppers and onions, salsa and guacamole. Toss with dressing just before serving.