Skirt Steak and Vegetable Grill Plate
with sundried tomato aioli
- Skirt steak - 1 1/2 lbs
- Zucchini - 3, halved
- Eggplant, Italian - 1
- Red peppers - 2, quartered
- Baguette - 1/2
- Balsamic vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Garlic cloves - 1, peeled
- Dijon mustard - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Egg yolks - 2 ((sub 1/2 cup mayo for yolks & oil if you don't want to use raw eggs))
- Olive or grapeseed oil - 1/4 cup
- Sundried tomatoes in oil - 1/4 cup
- Skirt steak - Season & tenderize with salt & pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Sliced in half lengthwise and scored.
- Eggplant - Sliced into 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick rounds and scored.
- Red peppers - Remove stem and then slice into 4 to 6 pieces.
- Baguette - Slice in half lengthwise and then into 4" (10 cm) long pieces.
- Aioli - Blend garlic, mustard, salt, egg yolks and oil in a blender until smooth and creamy. If you don't want to use raw eggs, susbtitute 1/2 cup (118 ml) of mayo for yolks and oil. Add in sundried tomatoes and blend until incorporated. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, sugar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush over zucchini, eggplant, red peppers, and bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill pan directions: Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Sprinkle steak with some more salt & pepper, and add to heated pan. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes for medium rare. Remove and set aside. Add as many vegetables as can fit onto the pan. Grill for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Feel free to brush on more of the vinaigrette and salt & pepper throughout the grilling process. Lower heat to medium, cover vegetables with foil, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until all vegetables can be easily pierced through with a knife. Finish with grilling bread for about 3 minutes, cut-side down.
- Grill directions: Watch these videos on high-heat grilling and grilling veggies for more grilling help. Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees, keeping one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean & oil grates and add steak pieces to higher heat part. Sear on both sides for ~3 minutes and then set aside to rest (cover with foil and don't slice for at least 5 minutes). Now add vegetables to the higher heat part of the grill. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Feel free to brush on more of the vinaigrette, but be careful of the flames. Remove peppers and move zucchini and eggplant to the lower heat to finish cooking. Add bread to the higher heat. Close lid and cook for another 3 minutes and then remove from grill.
- Slice steak after it's rested for 5 to 10 minutes. You can enjoy grilled ingredients on top of baguette with aioli.
The Sundried Tomato aioli was delicious! I liked the simplicity of the meal accompanied with tasty flavors.0 Helpful
Sundried Tomato Aioli was so great, I'll use this for other things even to spread on a sandwich.0 Helpful
This was delicious, wish my grill was a little bigger to accommodate all of the items, rotating them all out while managing a 2 and 5 year old was a little challenging. Will prep veggies well in advance next time.0 Helpful