Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Lentils, Spinach and Cheese
and roasted apples
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Potatoes, sweet, medium - 4
- Spinach, baby - 7 oz
- Lentils, cooked (use pre-cooked or half the amount if making from dried) - 2 cups
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Apples, any variety - 2, halved
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lentils - If using pre-cooked lentils or if you already cooked lentils for Tuesday's meal, skip this step. Rinse lentils and combine with water and some salt in a stock pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add additional water, if needed to keep lentils just barely covered while they cook. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - If prepping right before cooking, get apples in the oven before continuing with prep steps. Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Scrub clean. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- While oven heats, pierce potatoes with a fork. Place in a baking dish and pour 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of water in the dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and cook in microwave until tender 8 to 10 minutes, turning once in the middle. (Alternatively, you can roast the potatoes in the heated oven until easily pierced with a fork, ~1 hour.)
- Slice apples in half and place, cut-side up in a 8" x 8" / 20cm x 20cm baker. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Melt butter (just the portion for the apples) in the microwave and pour over the cut side of the apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake until golden brown on top and softened, 25 minutes. If apples start to brown too much on top before softened, cover with a piece of foil.
- While apples roast, heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and shallots to heated oil. Saute shallots until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add lentils and spinach and saute until spinach is wilted, ~4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in feta and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice open baked potatoes to create a slit in the top. Add butter (just the portion for the potatoes) and spoon spinach and lentil filling into the potatoes.
- Serve stuffed sweet potatoes with apples on the side and enjoy!
I changed this up a slight bit by using plain mustard in place of Dijon, and I cooked mine in a casserole pan since I was doing 8 chops. I did find that I needed to cook the chops and the apples longer than noted in the recipe, to get them where we wanted them... but we all enjoyed them. These are definitely going to be part of our standard rotation! (note: we didn't make the salad)0 Helpful
Subbed herb goat cheese instead of making my own. Tasty!0 Helpful
This was so tasty! The salad, apples, pork...so good it was worth seconds!0 Helpful
This may be my favorite meal yet! Even my five year old liked it! I added a splash of wine to the reserved juices in the pan and then simmered it on high while I cut the pork in order to create a thicker jus for topping. So delicious!0 Helpful
We loved this!! The pork would have been severely overcooked if I followed instructions - I did 3 and 3 on stovetop and then 5 in the oven and it came out at 160°F. The filling was so good - I added the tiniest bits of thyme and basil because I had them lying around.0 Helpful
To the filling I additionally added 1 oz cream cheese , seasoned salt, garlic salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Was really tasty!0 Helpful