Smoky Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup
with bacon, and apple side salad
- Carrots, medium - 1, chopped
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar, rinsed, drained and chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Apples, any tart variety - 1, chopped
- Bacon - 4 strips
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed salad greens - 4 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter melts, add carrots and onions and saute until onions soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprika and vinegar and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add roasted red peppers, tomatoes (including liquid) and stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook on both sides until crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool.
- Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and olive oil.
- Combine salad greens with apples. Just before serving, toss with dressing and crumble bacon on top.
- Puree soup until smooth with an immersion blender (like in this video) or transfer to a standing blender in batches. (Using a standing blender will yield a more smooth, creamy soup.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Tasty soup and very quick and easy to prepare.0 Helpful
it was so good! perfect for a chilly night. I bumped up the seasonings a bit more and actually blended the greek yogurt into the soup for a creamier recipe.0 Helpful
I added baked spiced garbanzo beans for protein and added garlic.0 Helpful
Had to add garlic, basil, salt, and pepper to the soup to make it a little more flavorful. Otherwise it was good. Also, made grilled cheese rather than garlic bread to make it more of a dinner.0 Helpful
Super easy to make and delicious hot or cold!0 Helpful
Delicious! Next time I'll broil the bread instead of baking it. Got a little too crunchy in the oven.0 Helpful