Smoky Tomato and Bell Pepper Soupwith garlic bread
For a twist on classic tomato soup, smoked paprika and roasted red peppers give this version a smoky rich flavor. Garlic bread on the side makes this a fast, comforting weeknight choice.
- Carrots, medium - 1, chopped
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar, rinsed, drained and chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Parsley, fresh - 2 tsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/2 loaf
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter melts, add carrots and onions and saute until onions soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprika and vinegar and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add roasted red peppers, tomatoes (including liquid) and stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Puree soup until smooth with an immersion blender (like in this video) or transfer to a standing blender in batches. (Using a standing blender will yield a more smooth, creamy soup.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of yogurt on top of each bowl and with garlic bread on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 55 reviews
it was so good! perfect for a chilly night. I bumped up the seasonings a bit more and actually blended the greek yogurt into the soup for a creamier recipe.
I added baked spiced garbanzo beans for protein and added garlic.
Had to add garlic, basil, salt, and pepper to the soup to make it a little more flavorful. Otherwise it was good. Also, made grilled cheese rather than garlic bread to make it more of a dinner.
Super easy to make and delicious hot or cold!
Delicious! Next time I'll broil the bread instead of baking it. Got a little too crunchy in the oven.
I put a touch too much paprika.. little spicy. Great though.