Smoky Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup
with garlic bread
For a twist on classic tomato soup, smoked paprika and roasted red peppers give this version a smoky rich flavor. Garlic bread on the side makes this a fast, comforting weeknight choice.
Smoky Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup:
- Carrots, medium - 1 , chopped
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar , rinsed, drained and chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Parsley, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp , grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/2 loaf
- Carrots / Roasted red peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Chop parsley. Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter melts, add carrots and onions and saute until onions soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprika and vinegar and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add roasted red peppers, tomatoes (including liquid) and stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Puree soup until smooth with an immersion blender (like in this video) or transfer to a standing blender in batches. (Using a standing blender will yield a more smooth, creamy soup.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of yogurt on top of each bowl and with garlic bread on the side. Enjoy!