Mediterranean Chicken Wraps
with spinach / feta / tomatoes / red pepper yogurt sauce
Fresh and flavorful marinated chicken provides a base for these Mediterranean-style wraps. Roasted red pepper sauce adds a creamy finish. Assemble these or serve all the toppings at the table so everyone can assemble their own.
Mediterranean Chicken Wraps:
- Parsley, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breast tenders (sub chicken breasts, sliced) - 1 lb
- Onions, red - 1/4 , thinly sliced
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/4 cup , sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 cup , halved
- Spinach, baby - 3 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz , crumbled
- Flat breads, small (like pita or lavash) - 8
Red Pepper Yogurt Sauce:
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp , chopped
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest of
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1 cup
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Chop parsley. Crush garlic with the palm of your hand (no need to peel it). Combine parsley, garlic, vinegar, mustard, honey and first part of cooking oil in a container or plastic bag. Slice chicken if not already sliced into tenders. Add chicken and toss to coat in marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make red pepper yogurt sauce - Chop dill. Zest lemons. Combine dill, lemon zest, roasted red peppers, olive oil, yogurt, honey and cumin. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender or food processor. Alternatively, you can finely chop the red peppers and combine everything by hand (your sauce just won't have the same smooth texture as blending). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add second part of cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to heated oil (discard marinade). Season chicken on all sides with some salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, set out all other ingredients for assembling wraps (onions, olives, red pepper yogurt sauce, tomatoes, spinach and crumbled feta).
- Just before serving, place flat breads on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Cook in the microwave just until warm (or toast them individually in a dry skillet).
- Have diners fill wraps themselves or assemble them by topping each flat bread with chicken and all other ingredients. Enjoy with red pepper yogurt sauce!