Mediterranean Chicken Wraps
with spinach / feta / tomatoes / red pepper yogurt sauce
Fresh and flavorful marinated chicken provides a base for these Mediterranean-style wraps. Roasted red pepper sauce adds a creamy finish. Assemble these or serve all the toppings at the table so everyone can assemble their own.
- Parsley, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breast tenders (sub chicken breasts, sliced) - 1 lb
- Onions, red - 1/4, thinly sliced
- Olives, pitted (green or black) - 1/4 cup, sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 3 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Flat breads, small (like pita or lavash) - 8
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp, chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1 cup
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Chop parsley. Crush garlic with the palm of your hand (no need to peel it). Combine parsley, garlic, vinegar, mustard, honey and first part of cooking oil in a container or plastic bag. Slice chicken if not already sliced into tenders. Add chicken and toss to coat in marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make red pepper yogurt sauce - Chop dill. Zest lemons. Combine dill, lemon zest, roasted red peppers, olive oil, yogurt, honey and cumin. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender or food processor. Alternatively, you can finely chop the red peppers and combine everything by hand (your sauce just won't have the same smooth texture as blending). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add second part of cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to heated oil (discard marinade). Season chicken on all sides with some salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, set out all other ingredients for assembling wraps (onions, olives, red pepper yogurt sauce, tomatoes, spinach and crumbled feta).
- Just before serving, place flat breads on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Cook in the microwave just until warm (or toast them individually in a dry skillet).
- Have diners fill wraps themselves or assemble them by topping each flat bread with chicken and all other ingredients. Enjoy with red pepper yogurt sauce!
Enjoyed this a lot.0 Helpful
For me, this was a really good example of one of the recipes that only give a sort of token nod to "oh yeah we have to do a gluten-free version too". I can't imagine where anyone would get gluten free flatbread unless they're lucky enough that they both have a gluten free bakery nearby, and that bakery makes flatbread. Neither of the two GF bakeries near me do. I ended up trying it both as a salad and with GF corn tortillas. The salad was pretty flavorless and the corn was... okay, but the flavors didn't quite work out. Probably won't make it again :(0 Helpful
The red yogurt sauce was out of this world. Would be great as a salad dressing or veggie dip as well. Next time, I would only saute the chicken in maybe 1-1.5 T. of oil. 3 T. was too much and unnecessary. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
My husband and I love this recipe! We have made several times, it's absolutely delicious! (And healthy! :))0 Helpful
I really loved the sauce in this! The marinade was also tasty and I added a little more garlic powder to the garlic cloves. I would definitely add cucumbers to this recipe for the extra crunch. I had a hard time finding GF wraps, luckily Trader Joe's has the rice tortillas and that worked out pretty well. I think I'll experiment with my own recipe or Udi's next time I have more time.0 Helpful
Loved this and could separate out ingredients for kids.0 Helpful